Monday, March 15, 2010

Niners sign who to the what now?


When I first saw the crawl at the bottom of the screen, I missed the first part of it. All I got was ” . . .signs a two year contract with the San Francisco 49ers for 6.25 million dollars plus incentives”. I was excited, I allowed myself to fantasize about who it might be as I waited for the crawl to repeat itself. For that kind of money, we could get someone fast and shifty who can immediately help in the return game, maybe an Antwan Randle El or a Jerious Norwood. How about a solid offensive lineman who’d be in the rotation and have the potential to start? (I’m not gonna pretend I know enough offensive lineman around the league by name to drop a couple of examples, but they are out there. Heck we just let one go, Tony Pashos) Or maybe an aging stud pass rusher or DB, a year or two past their prime looking to show they still have something left in the tank , ala Darren Sharper with the Saints last season. I’d be ecstatic. For 6.25 million, it’s gotta be someone who can get on the field and help us win, right?
David Carr? . . really? Really? David Carr? That’s who the Niners choose to spend money on? A guy who hasn’t started a game since the 2006 season and has never started for a winning team? His career record as a starter is 23-56. He’s thrown more career interceptions than touchdowns, and his passers rating is room temperature. Apparently we signed him to take the place of Shaun Hill. Really? The same Shaun Hill who costs half as much, has a 2 to 1 touchdown to interception ratio, a passers rating 12 points higher than Carr’s, and has gone 10-6 as a starter FOR THE NINERS? This is a guy who has earned the trust and respect of the team in the trenches. Replace him with a guy who’s only legacy in the NFL is being a bust, a prima donna, getting sacked and losing games? If David Carr sees the field as a 49er, it is practically a guarantee of our failure as a team. If we can’t win with him as our quarterback, can somebody please explain why we backed up the Brinx truck to sign him? I think Patrick Willis put it best when he said “We have three qb’s that are better than him. That’s a waste of time”. Not to mention money. I do not approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment