Monday, November 30, 2009


Following our Auberge experience, which was absolutely lovely, we met up with Ian's belle, Kathy. I had met Kathy a few months before for Ians birthday celebration. She had organized a group trip to the Giants/Mets game. It was at this event that the horrifying picture of me becoming one with a hot dog was taken. The event was a rousing success. We hit it off immediately, I found her to be a delight, Im not entirely sure what she saw in me. (my charm, wit, and self-deprecating humor possibly?) It is always a bit worrisome when you meet a good friends significant other. There are few situations more uncomfortable than not liking a best friends girl/boyfriend. Thankfully, this was not at all the case, if anything I think Ian my have been a bit annoyed that I monopolized her time a bit (singing his praises the whole time). I was excited to see her again, and excited to get dinner because, well, dinner excites me. We stopped by her place to pick her up, and I met her beautiful pug Lucy. It was nice to get to know Lucy so it wouldn't be awkward when we were sleeping together on the same couch later that evening. Ian and Kathy were fired up to go to a place called Ubuntu, which is a renowned vegetarian restaurant in Napa. Now I am aggressively omnivorous, I love vegetables but it is very rare that a meal of mine does not integrate the flesh of a once living animal. Usually the meat, or whenever possible, meats, take center stage. The vegetables, though playing an integral role, are supporting actors. Occasionally I allow the vegetables a star turn, often with great results, like Paul Giammatti in Sideways. So I enthusiastically embarked on my first meal at restaurant that did not allow meat. Now, when I say the place is renowned, I am not exaggerating. It has a Michelin Star, and the front window had reviews from the Chronicle of course, but also The Chicago Sun-Times, The Washington Post, and The New York Times, which described it thusly: "Ubuntu is where virtue meets naughty sensuality. It’s the Angelina Jolie of restaurants." High praise indeed. The space is beautifully understated, modern but comfortable. The server was bright and bubbly, if slightly overwrought. We started off with some Almonds, Sea Salted and lavendered up, they were quite tasty. There were some falafel like french fry things, an amazing cauliflower au gratin type thing, probably the best vegetable soup I've ever tasted. The meal was amazing, except for one dish. I found it insulting. (in my inebriated state I imagined the chef creating it as a joke "Apricot Mayo? Sure! Smurf Garden of edible flowers and hazelnut soil? of course! Cheese the consistency and taste of silly puddy? Why not? Have you seen my reviews?" The worst part is that it was the one dish that we got on our waitresses recommendation. "whats your favorite thing on the menu?" "The Smurf Village "(Im paraphrasing) All in all, though, it was a pretty fantastic meal. If the opportunity arises, give it a shot. Its pretty amazing the things they can do with vegetables these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment