Tuesday, November 24, 2009

4. Auberge, on a beautiful Napa afternoon.


We left Chandon and went to an even more beautiful Napa Valley locale, Auberge du Soleil. The place is spectacular, a short, meandering drive up a beautiful hillside brings you to the restaurant , which opened in 1981, and the European style Inn which opened 4 years later. The place, though nearing 30 years old, which is ancient in restaurant years, remains chic and modern, with contemporary touches and old world style. Is this a place that I, myself, would go to on my own? Not in a million years, but I'm glad Ian took me there. The view from the terrace was exceptionally beautiful, the service and drinks fantastic, and the company incomparable. I had left my camera in the car, and didn't realize it until after we sat down and ordered drinks. I took the ticket out to the valet and grabbed my camera. On my way in, camera in hand, I explained to the valet that I "had to have a picture of my 20 dollar cocktail". He laughed and shook his head, as did Ian. So here it is, my good friend Ian on the left, the splendor of the Napa Valley unfolding in the background, and a 20 dollar Cucumber Gimlet in the lower right. I do believe it was the most expensive cocktail I had all trip, not surprisingly, it may have also been the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment